Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Adventures of Penny, Mary & Black: The Big Race

Jackie came running into the paddock.  "LOOK!" she yelled.  "It's a letter for Black!"

Black and the horses came running.  "Here, read it!"  said Jackie.  

It said,

Dear Black,
     We are having a race on, September 16, 2010.  

"That's after tomorrow!" squealed Penny.

"Keep reading, Black," said Mary.

So Black went on...

We know that you are a fast horse.  We would like for you to come and compete.  We will be running for four hours, starting at 1:00 in the afternoon and ending at 5:00.  If you want to compete, please come to Easy Street in Owings.  We will start there.  No rider allowed!

From Horse Racing Company

Black looked up while Jackie tucked the paper in her bag.  "Well, I had better start packing," said Black.

"Why?" asked Penny.

"Because I want to do the race!" said Black.

"But Black, you wouldn't do this to me!" complained Jackie.

"What am I doing to you?" asked Black.

"I want to race with you but the rules are No Rider Allowed!" she started sobbing.  

"But Jackie, it's only four hours!" cried Penny.  Jackie stopped sobbing.  

"Ok, Black, promise me you can win the race!" pleaded Jackie

"Alright!" said Black.  "But you have to promise me that you will help me pack."

"ok" said Jackie.  She turned to Penny & Mary.  "You guys are going to have to help me get stuff out of the attic."

"Ok" the girls replied back.  Black was already in his stall. "I had better say goodbye to this stall" he said.

Penny walked in, "The race is only for four hours!"

"Oh right!" said Black.  

"Black!  Black!" called Jackie & Mary from the attic.  

"What?" Black yelled back.

"Get some carrots from the refrigerator!"  

"Ok," he said.  He went into the kitchen.  His hooves made a clip clop sound on the hardwood floor.  "This is easy peasy!" he said as he opened the refrigerator door.  Then PLOP!  All the food tumbled out.  "HELP!" yelled Black.

Mary, Penny & Jackie ran into the kitchen.  "OH BLACK!" they all yelled.  "It was an accident," he said, as they helped him to his feet.  "So this is why my mom told me never to invite a horse into the house!" said Jackie.  

"Black!" they screamed as he stood up.  "You look like a food salad!"  He sure did.  He had ketchup with salad sticking to his body.  Milk was in his mane.  "We have to hose you off" said Jackie.

"No!" yelled Black.

"We have to wash you off anyways before the race," said Penny.  

"Can we go in the field and do it?" asked Black.  "Sure" said the girls.

They washed him off.  "Guys, it's getting late," said Mary.  "We had better get to bed," said Penny.  

"Lets..."Jackie paused to yawn, "let's go to bed"  They went to their stalls.  "Goodnight" said Jackie as she went into her room.  

The next morning they were all in the field.  "Ok Black, go around three times," said Jackie.  Black was on the lead rope.  He was prancing around not tired at all.  

"Ok, I think you're ready!" said Penny.  

"Really?" asked Black as he stopped.  

"Really!  We think you're the fastest horse in the universe."

"Gee thanks guys!" said Black sheepishly.  

"All right, let's have lunch," said Jackie.  While they were eating, Black asked, "Are you guys going to watch me race?"  Nobody said a word.  Penny broke the silence, "I think we can, right Mare?"

"I think so!  Jackie do you think..." she stopped mid sentence.  Jackie was sobbing again with Black nuzzling her cheek.  "It's ok!" he said.  Penny came over.

"Like I told you," said Penny. "It's only for four hours!"

"I'm not upset about that!" she cried.

"Then why are you crying?" they all yelled.  "I can't come to the race!" she said.  "I have a whole bunch of papers to do and I can't come!"  She started crying again.  "Jackie, said Black, "you don't have to go through this just because you can't see me!"  Penny, Mary & Jackie just stared at him.  "WOW," they said.  "You've never been that considerate to us."

"Well, I guess I just learned that I don't have to be dumb."  He caught a quick glimpse of Penny.  She was blushing.  "So who wants dessert?" yelled Jackie.  "ME!" they all cried!

Jackie gave all three of them four sugar cubes each.  "Tomorrow is the big day!" said Jackie.  "Time to hit the sack."  They went into their stalls and said goodnight.  

The next morning Jackie was helping Black get groomed.  After he was sleek black, "I'm ready," he said.  So at 1:00 they were off.  Jackie was riding Mary because she didn't want to get Black's hair dirty.  When they got there Black started to groan.  "Oh no.  Brono is here!"

"Who's Brono?" the girls asked.  "Before I came to you guys I was a racing horse. Brono raced against me.  Only one time did I win.   I also broke my leg racing him."  He shook his head.  

"You broke your leg?" screamed Mary?  "Yeah.  You want to see Brono?" he asked them.  The girls slowly nodded.  "Ok, that's him!" he said pointing his muzzle at the big strong lookin' horse.  He was bigger than Black and I think it would be okay if you thought he was fat.  He had brown streaks that went all the way across his body.  Jackie, Penny and Mary turned to Black.  But he wasn't looking at them.  Penny went beside him to see what he was lookin' at.  When she saw what he was looking at she started to giggle.  


ALL RACE HORSES REPORT TO THE RACE TRACK!  ALL RACE HORSES REPORT TO THE RACE TRACK!

"Ok, see you guys after the race."  He raced the other horses to the starting line.  

On your mark, get set, GO!

The sound of thundering hooves beat the ground.  "Oh and I forgot to tell you guys..." said Jackie.

"What?" they asked.

"I finished that paper work.  That's why I was able to come."

"Oh that's great!" said Mary & Penny.  Then the loud speaker was on again...

BRONO AND BLACK IN THE LEAD!  NO!  MILKSHAKE IS CATCHING UP!

"Who's Milkshake?" asked Jackie.  

"I'm guessing that she's Black's girlfriend, maybe?" said Mary.

The loudspeaker was on again...

THREE HORSES IN THE LEAD!  WOW!  THIS IS HISTORY! LET'S PUT THE SOUND ON THE HORSES SHALL WE?

They heard Milkshake say "Hi Boys."  Brono & Black stared lovingly at the beautiful pinto.  Then suddenly Black lost his footing.  He tumbled to the ground.  Brono & Milkshake were in the lead!  Black got steadily to his feet.  He looked at the figures of Brono & Milkshake.  He thought about Jackie, Penny & Mary.  The thought about the trophy.  He started to gallop.  Not a normal gallop.  A very, very, very fast gallop.  He caught up with Milkshake & Brono.  Instead of being left behind with Brono, Milkshake came up with Black. Jackie, Mary & Penny were screaming at the top of their lungs.  As Brono slowed down, all the other horses came thundering past.  "I wanted that girl," he murmured from under his breath.  The loud speaker was on again...

AND IT'S AND IT'S...Mary, Penny and Jackie pleaded it was Black. IT'S A TIE! shouted the loud speaker. "YES!" the girls yelled!  They went over to greet Black & Milkshake.  They were nuzzling noses.  Someone came over & gave them both a trophy.  "We knew you could do it!" said the girls as they ran over.  Jackie flung her arms over Black's neck.  "Good job, Black!" she gave him a kiss on the nose.  "Not in front of Milkshake," he murmured.  Jackie went over to Milkshake.  "Congratulations!" she said as she patted her nose.  Suddenly Milkshake's owner called her.  "Master calls," she said.  

Black turned to her, "So I guess this is to say bye."  

"Yeah," said Milkshake.  "But I think we'll see each other again.  Where do you live?"

"At Whitestone Farm."

"Ok, I'll see you around." she galloped off.  

When they got home, Jackie put the trophy on the trophy shelf.  When they got in their stalls Black said, "I'm going to visit Milkshake."

"Yep" whispered Penny, "he's still his normal self.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment